Friday, June 28, 2013

A Birth Story

It was June 24th, 2013 and I was 41 weeks, 5 days pregnant. My body felt ready to have a baby so my midwife, Glenda came over, checked me and determined that I was a good 7cm dilated. After chilling for a couple hours to see if labor would progress, we all went back to bed to see if the next day would bring a baby.

Me, the day before my 4th born came into the world

On June 25th, we all woke up and wondered if it would be the day. Caleb stayed home from work because you never know just how long it will take a baby to come when you're at 7cm. We played in the kiddy pool, wandered around the yard, and mingled as a family in great anticipation.

 Us, on the morning of the birth

I decided to have Glenda come over in the afternoon to check me and strip my membranes (a method of inducing labor). At 3pm I was stripped and the contractions started. Not too strong but more regular. I walked in the heat to 7-Eleven to get Slurpees (Caleb's suggestion to help labor along) with the family, walked and stood, and knelt, and rocked. Anything I could do to keep the contractions regular. They came while I labored in my home, while my kids ran around with "Aunt" (my sista Haley!) and my husband encouraged (hence the 7 Eleven journey). Caleb and Aunt put the kids to bed around 8pm. After our goodnight kisses, Emarie jumped into bed saying "Have a good birth mom!" (So glad her idea of birth is a good one!)

At 9pm, I was checked again. I was 9 cm and baby's head was an inch from coming out. "We are ready when you are Melissa. You need to be ok with pushing your baby out. That part that you don't want to do..." my midwife encouraged.

 I then knew my body was waiting on me. I prayed and imagined holding my baby. The truth is, I just didn't want to go through the pushing and the out of control feeling. I began to accept and my body went into transition. Strong contractions came and I stood at the foot of my bed. 45 minutes of transition and my water broke. "I'm pushing out my baby!" It all happened so fast after that. I quickly got onto the bed and pushed a head out. Then out came a body, all while holding onto Caleb's arms quite tightly. When Glenda said "reach down and get your baby dad" my strong grip just didn't allow that to happen. Up he went on my chest while crying his first wails.


A Boy!

We have another son! He was 8lb 2oz and 20.5" long.

Our third homebirth was a wonderful experience that I will have forever. We are beyond blessed to have a great birthing team here in Richmond and hospitals close by if a transfer was ever needed.

Our children woke up in the morning to a new baby brother.

Welcome to the world my 4th born and 2nd son. We So love you!

4 comments:

  1. Favorite parts
    1) Emarie saying to have a good birth and her idea that birthing is a normal process of life that is uncomplicated in healthy situations.

    2) Your midwife recognizing that you were holding back and needed to be encouraged. Good signs of a good midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teary eyed over here. Emarie's encouragement to have a good birth got me good! So inspired by you, always. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story. What a treasure to have the whole family there and together meeting the newest member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this! Celebrating with your family! (and, sheepishly, a little bit relieved that he IS a boy- since I opened my mouth the other day. . . ) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete